March 29, 2012

Carson Daly Gets In Trouble For Making Fun Of Gay People

Idiot. He was discussing a JFK flight to Vegas in which a pilot had a meltdown and passengers had to secure a whacked-out pilot to seats with seatbelts and restraints. It was a bunch of security people, apparently, going to a security conference. But he managed to say 'If it were me, my luck, it'd be a bunch of homos or queens going to Pride or a floral convention.' (In so many words.) Here's the audio:



Now, people freaked out. He apologized, via Twitter, naturally, with this wimpy piece of shit: "This morning on my radio show I attempted to make fun of myself & offended others by mistake. I sincerely apologize."


Part of what got people so riled up was the story of Mark Bingham, a 220-pound 6'4" gay man who tackled terrorists onboard a flight on 9/11. He was part of a passenger team that deterred a flight that was headed for Washington D.C. His mother was interviewed by TMZ and she has this amazing story to tell:

"Yes, my gay son was known in our family for bringing me flowers on my birthday and Mother’s Day. He also was known for careening down the rugby pitch, and, on the morning of September 11, 2001, for charging unarmed down the aisle of a doomed Boeing 757 to face knife-wielding Islamist thugs in a hijacked cockpit.

No one among his pick-up team of fellow passengers was asking 'Are you straight? Are you gay?' No one doubted that a guy who weighed 220 and stood 6’4” tall - who could run over a charging opponent on the field, and ran with the bulls in Pamplona earlier that summer - would be an asset to a desperate group trying to overcome a threat onboard an airliner."

The world has its share of strong, heroic gay men. Gay men in sports uniforms and military uniforms have been winning America’s games and fighting America’s battles for a long time: quietly, humbly, and in the face of vicious bigotry.

I hope you and I may have an opportunity to talk sometime. I prefer to believe you didn’t mean to offend. Good luck to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment